20080602

Messing with The Dresden Dolls in Texas



This is what the view from my eyes used to be almost nightly. Someone asked me this weekend how many Dresden Doll shows I've been to. Thanks to Sean Francis' diligently archived show history, I quickly counted up 273, not including Amanda or Brian solo shows/projects. I know I was working in some capacity at the majority of those shows, but The Dresden Dolls are truly one of my favorite (and overall best) live bands in the world. Amanda's performance skills, vocals, and songwriting, combined with Brian's precise yet heavy drumming genius is a sight to behold. It never got old and I've enjoyed every performance for some reason or another. Really.

This weekend I flew to Houston to surprise The Dolls on tour. I sorted it a month ago or so with their amazing TM, Eric Sussman, who is one of my favorite people ever AND has a hot bod.
Eric is an older Dresden Doll fan than I and he was also our personal tour guide when the band would play Japan. Anyway, when I showed up, Brian screamed like a girl and Laura (almost) cried. (Speaking of, The Hush Clowns just came up on shuffle!). Thanks to Beth for capturing the moment.

It was heaven to see the band play, hang with the crew on the bus, and gossip about the music industry and Pete Doherty with Miss Merch. Old-school crew regulars "Professional" Dave Hughes and JeffMaker.Com are in Asia clowning around on tour with The Click Five. Dave brought in his roomie Jon Lammi to mix and the Drive By Trucker's LD, Brian Spett filled in for Jeffie. I thought no lighting talent or sense of humor could replace JeffMaker.com, and no one can. But Spett gives him a run for his money with his "Channeling Bob Lefsetz" monologue. We'll make a youtube documentation of the performance someday. Hopefully it's not only funny @ 4 AM, but that's probably the case. Spett also introduced me to R. Kelly's Trapped In The Closet.  Really, have you SEEN this?  Shit, Spett's got me typing all Lefsetzy. Anyway, I know I'm a little behind in my tour bus ironic DVD knowledge, but TITC is really outta control hysterical. There is even (of course) TITC merch. So awesome.

The mornings were yoga filled with Amanda and Beth, while the evenings produced epic Dresden Doll shows. The band was in true form. An additional musical highlight was the adorable sister trio of Smoosh , who range from ages 11 to 16 (with a 4 year old sister who's not yet of age to join the band). The girls were truly inspiring with their talent and maturity amongst so many adults (albeit many of us circus traveling rock n roll clowns are not all that adult, but you get the idea). The girls have toured or performed one-offs with Death Cab For Cutie, Tokyo Police Club, Arcade Fire, Pearl Jam, and Bloc Party. So amazing! They've played two sxsw's and had stickers on their Macs of some of my favorite venues, both in the US and abroad. Their father was driving the girls around on tour, and I PROMISE he is the least stage-coachy parent I've seen both in swimming and music. PLEASE LET ALL KIDS DO WHAT THEY WANT IN LIFE WITHOUT ANY PRESSURE. They'll turn out like Smoosh. :)


Brian was equally moved by Smoosh.
The tour ended @ Stubb's in Austin! We rolled into town and (post-yoga) gorged on Stubb's gospel brunch. Unfortunately Brian didn't get a chance to rejoice onstage in all of his Sunday morning glory like he did at a House of Blues gospel brunch in Cleveland a few years back. However, the food was fantastic and band/crew get free dinner too! People always question why I get excited about Stubb's since it is famous for it's BBQ, but seriously, try the yams, fried green tomatoes, and mac&cheese. Life changing. Old friend Adam Glasseye opened the show with Insect Fable and also joined in on the food fun.  Here is Adam and Brian who is enjoying his second plate of brunch bbq.  I can't blame him!
But no tour would be complete without an end-of-tour prank. At 5 AM or so the night before, the crew decided that penis costumes should be rented for the final show. Of course, Austin had a fantastic costume shop, Lucy In Disguise, and I was put in charge of picking up the costumes with the runner. It made sense for Eric and I to be the giant cocks. We decided to run onstage during the break in "Coin-Op" mid-song. Brian couldn't resist and tackled me to the ground, but I escaped and we ran around the audience. Due to our open media policy at shows, the event was documented and uploaded by a fan to youtube immediately. Hooray!

But the night wouldn't be complete without Brian somehow changing into a Brigader's maid costume.

Post-show we all celebrated at Beauty Bar since Jason from Trail of Dead is a co-owner and left it open for us (Amanda guests on So Divided, an amazing album definitely worth checking out). I miss my band and touring family, but it makes returning, even for just a few days, that much more special. Thanks again guys!!! :)  


Much Love,
Em xo

PS - My apologies for the lack of Amanda media, I'm sure I'll have more after her shows with the Boston Pops in a few weeks.

3 comments:

Fairytale Vegas said...

LOOK FOR ME AT THE POPS!

I don't know what I'll be wearing. Just look for pink hair and a pretty dress.

Anonymous said...

I miss Dolls shows and all the good peeps that come with them. I love Brian's double tackle of the giant cock.

Camille Acey said...

Welcome to the world of bloggeeks! I just subscribed to your blog and will be hanging on your every word! :)

About MLE

My photo
Brooklyn, New York
Brooklyn Wisconsinite Entrepreneur, Yogi, Swimmer, etc. Background P1. P2. P3. Final Installment.