20080409

The Final Installment. I Promise. Maybe















There is no way in hell I would ever remember all of these who played with what when where details without the primer Sean Francis @ BRAT put together here: http://www.dresdendolls.com/shows/index.htm. You Rule.  I wish I could be as on it as Mike Greenhaus but c'est la vie.

Yeah there was an insane amount of touring in 2006 but that's because The Dollz released Yes, Virginia in April.  Btw, Album, Book, and Film titles all should be italicized or underlined.  Not that I have perfect grammar on here by any means, but I'm willing to guess most people in the music industry do not know that as they often confuse that in emails with the fact that song titles should be in "quotes."  Not that hard to remember. After a quickie US tour to promote the release date we headed to Europe with what I'd have to say is the classic DD crew: Psycho, Dave Mac, Laura Lolly, JeffMaker.Com and hit 15 countries or so. Those 4 + the band are some of my best friends and there is no better way to see the (part of the) world (who can afford to purchase music and see it live).  Choukri, Ireland, The Best Songwriter in Edinburgh, Fruit, Immature pictures of people sleeping with dildos, Thomas Truax, The Cribs, Cheese Plates, Wine, Jaeger, Red Light DistrictS, breaking into national monuments, skinny dipping at festivals, Pete Doherty, "Nasty" the bus driver, Astoria, Abart, and BILLY OCEAN sums it up nicely. Oh and that off day I planned in San Sebastian was pretty sick as well (photo above). Below is me and Bri clowning around The Mediterranean.
Wrapping up with a string of festivals (Rock am Ring, Rock Im Park, Pinkpop and a one off @ Bonnaroo) was a great way to kick off the summer.

But the summer was back to reality a bit as we did a not-so-exciting US tour with Panic!  At The Disco. Although they have now removed the ! from their name, I'll keep it in for historical purposes. Panic of 2008 has now discovered Sgt. Pepper. Nice one boys! "Satan is Real" was the theme song of that run.  Again, gotta love the instant gratification of YouTube as here are The Dolls covering The Louvin Brothers' classic at Lollapalooza.  The sound is pretty crystal clear. Nice work Dave + Lolla/C3 production staff. Lolla actually wrapped up the Panic! run which was a really nice way to end it as The Dolls' have a loyal fan base in Chi-town. And my mom and cousins were there!! Fun Fun. The band did play Summerfest that year though and Amanda covered "White Rabbit" for my dad while he watched from the side of the stage which made him a happy hippie.  30 Seconds to Mars were on the bill that day as well and Katie Kay, Laura, and I couldn't believe JORDAN CATELANO was just wandering amongst the Angela Chase in all of us.  Oh there's another fun thing about that tour, that's where we really met, got to know, and adopted Katie Kay and Erin aka the two hottest dancers ever.

Up next?  A 4 continent world tour with a crew consisting of yours truly + Psycho Dave. Dave really is one of the best, most reliable, and fun sound guys in the world.  And I've met a lot of sound guys.  Below is a happy day in New Zealand.
In 2008 he is properly known as Professional Dave.  But sorry Psycha, I'm blogging about 2006 and it was the year of PD and PEmily!  Well maybe just PE in Tokyo. Pukkelpop, Highfield, Reading/Leeds, The Red Paintings, Grayson Gilmour!  New Zealand, and PORSCHES ON THE AUTOBAHN SUPPORTING IN GERMANY were all highlights.  God, what would I do to see a Porsches reunion. Where's the Behind The Music on Otto??  Please watch their Demonstration video HERE  to see some classic trick moves and a hot Brian Vig cameo on "Hey Brian" at The Dolls' CD release @ The Orpheum.

Wow, I can't believe we did this schedule.  I mean I can, the band had a record out, but we took less than two weeks off and jumped into a full crew headlining Dolls' US tour.  Everyone was excited to be reunited though David had officially turned into the older brother I'd never had at that point (note typical view from my vantage point in following photo).  Love ya Dave :)  
Nothing notable about this run except I knew that it was probably my last proper tour.  I wasn't challenged by tour managing anymore and we hit venues like SOMA, 930 Club, and Webster Hall where the staff knew us all by name we'd done so many shows.  It was time to get to know my awesome neighborhood in Brookyn better than the surrounding areas of various hotels and venues.

But one has to go out with a bang, right?  So why not choose a two-night 15 act DVD shoot at London's Roundhouse a week after it had opened with my production assistant unavailable and Luba at a wedding.  With a little help from EVERYONE from the performers to zen zen zo to my saviour Katie Kay, to the musicians to Margaret Cho and Keri Smith to Phil the runner and to our crew we somehow pulled it off!  Yay us.  I also got to see NOEL GALLAGHER solo acoustic the night before and it was my 24th bday week.  FUN!  

That was it though and I returned to NYC to work at Mad House full time (as opposed to only when we weren't on tour).  Oh sweet, I'm on my oldest Mac so my iCal from that era is still in tact.  Hmm, it only goes through Jan 2007 though.  Looks like the usual in NYC: lotsa shows and in Dec lotsa industry parties (right kev mo?).  

I guess the Final Installment Part Two will have to come later because I am fried.

xo




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Porsches on the Autobahn ain't dead my friend... I hear they have a new album coming out around Christmas...

About MLE

My photo
Brooklyn, New York
Brooklyn Wisconsinite Entrepreneur, Yogi, Swimmer, etc. Background P1. P2. P3. Final Installment.