20080714

One Pedal At A Time

One shocking part of moving to Miami from my northeast staples like NYC and Boston, is the lack of progressive values.

For example, when I moved into my new apartment, I was told there was no recycling! What does that even mean?  This is 2008, come on.  Being the Lisa Simpson type that I am, I contacted my local government since this is against the law. Luckily, my building complex came around, and I was willing to give them another shot and re-sign my lease. Should you have the same issue, please check out this local government page, which has all appropriate laws and contact info.

One of the most exciting parts of moving to Miami land was year round summer!  And this means, year round biking.  When telling my new co-workers that I had specifically chosen my apartment due to it's convenient biking proximity to the office, I was greeted with jaw dropping stares.  But, day after day, people look at my bike commute as less strange and often comment that they'd like to save money on gas or find a simple way to get in shape.  One bike at a time! :)

My point is, for local readers, is that Miami Mayor Manny Diaz has gotten in on the fun!  I noticed on his blog today that Mayor Diaz is actively reaching out to the biking community to improve biking conditions in our gorgeous city.  So please, local readers (and judging by my Google Analytics, there are quite a few of you), take the time to fill out the survey the Mayor has provided HERE.

Happy riding!  And hopefully soon, maybe Miami bikers won't be "Courting Death Daily."

xo

PS - Maybe it's just a cheap pick up line, but the massive chain I wear around my waist is practical and normal!  I've had two bikes stolen in NYC and never want it to happen again.  To answer everyone's question that stops me on my elevator: no, it's not heavy, and it saves me from buying a new bike every few months! :)

1 comment:

schmatie said...

Em -- I think you and I are the only cyclists I know that have not been hit by a car/truck/bus/pedestrian. And yes, I just referred to us as "cyclists."

About MLE

My photo
Brooklyn, New York
Brooklyn Wisconsinite Entrepreneur, Yogi, Swimmer, etc. Background P1. P2. P3. Final Installment.