20130312

What I'm Excited about 10 years after my 1st SXSW


I'm headed to my 9th SXSW in 10 years.  In 2004, the festival was gravy for asking The Dresden Dolls if I could tour manage them, despite not really knowing what I was doing other than selling Tshirts. I learned quickly and ended up tour managing the band for years.

That first SX was an exciting and eye-opening experience of fashion, music, friends, and laid out a clear vision of what I wanted to do moving forward.

I remember running into my Artist Management professor from Northeastern who had given me a B for missing class too often for swim meets. Now I run a management company and manage a swimmer.  As I say on tour, it always works out.

This year we have 33 music events, 6 comedy shows and 5 panels. I couldn't be more proud of not only the caliber of talent that we work with, but also the quality of people that embody our rosters and teams. Everyone is working hard for the greater good of their careers and making wonderful art for what is hopefully a long time to come.

I'm on a direct flight to Austin from NYC right now and in the past, mingling with industry folks on the flight was one of my favorite parts of the trip. Now I smile as I see Dave Kaplan from The Agency Group on this flight as well as Greg Johnson from SONGS who signed Sydney Wayser a few years ago at this point. Last year it was Angus Baskerville next to me on my connection and Rick Krim behind me, whom I'd only ever emailed until that flight and it was great to meet someone who I knew was a longtime Urge Overkill supporter.

Every day of SXSW 2013 I'm going to try and spotlight something I'm looking forward to this year. We'll see how it goes, but the flight to Austin is such a great reminder of how SXSW is the epicenter for our industry to both hang with and meet new people to forge new relationships for our artists and beyond.

Just a glance of my color-coded schedule for tomorrow is a taste of a variety of experiences to be had at SXSW Music. (In my ideal world, I'd come down for Interactive as well, but we're always so busy preparing for the music portion, I don't see it happening unless they are the same week.) Thus, I'll be delving into indie label meetings at 9 AM tomorrow and will attempt to do a yoga class before hand (!). Various tech demos follow before afternoon party sets by Readymade artists The Howlin Brothers (2 PM @ Dogwood: 715 W. 6th St for Conqueroo/Guitartown) and Cory Chisel (1:15 PM @ Cedar Street Courtyard: 208 W. 4th St).  I'm looking forward to Spotify and Aquarium Drunkard's shows tomorrow before The Howlin Brothers play again at 10 PM @ Saxon Pub (1320 S. Lamar Blvd.) for Hill Country Live.

So what have I learned since my first SXSW 10 years ago? I've learned to put Emergen-C in my water on the plane as opposed to the jack and coke the guy next to me is drinking. I've learned how to get a decent hotel room. I've finally remembered to bring sunscreen, which Steve Ferguson is also welcome to. I've learned to rent a bike from Barton Springs Bicycles for $20 a day (they pick up and drop off with a helmet and lock at your lodging!) to get to shows on time and get some exercise. I've learned how to write and post a live blog from a plane. And I've learned to live in the moment. I've made my plan, and now I will enjoy my plan; not getting stressed if things don't go perfectly and taking a moment to delight in the unexpected.

Looking forward to what SXSW 2013 will bring :) xo

No comments:

About MLE

My photo
Brooklyn, New York
Brooklyn Wisconsinite Entrepreneur, Yogi, Swimmer, etc. Background P1. P2. P3. Final Installment.