20140215

Fierce Compassion in Cannes

For the past 5 years, I have been lucky enough to travel to the South of France for the annual MIDEM conference, were the music industry's global community comes together.

MIDEM is INTENSE.  When done right, it is packed with meeting after meeting, speed dating style.  I love working with the conference and this year they asked me to interview Seymour Stein, which was a complete honor.  In addition to the above, I am currently overseeing or running three companies and had a slew of social engagements as well as professional events to attend during the week.

Thus, as always, health and balance is as important as ever.

I was thrilled this year to score an Airbnb apartment not only 2 blocks from the conference center, but also literally across the street from a yoga studio:


For the second year in a row, I attend an evening class on the day of arriving; which of course felt great after a long-haul flight.

I love the layout of this studio.  There is a giant Om symbol that one faces in class with a large Buddha painting to the right and a Buddha statue by the door to the studio.  There is free yogi tea near the changing rooms and a slew of yogic texts.

The teacher on this Friday evening was female and introduced a pose I had never done before.  Kind of a twist (literally) on pigeon.  I'm generally quite a yoga traditionalist as the practices have been around for thousands of years; so why change them?  But this posture felt great!

Most of the other classes I took were led by what I believe was the male owner.  He is wonderful! Super into it and taught different style classes back to back with some new things that were impressive.  The teacher's passion shone through with his "LIVE, LOVE, YOGA" tshirt and the fact that he was not creepy.  (Sometimes male yoga teachers just can't help it, hate to say it....).

All was great all week and doing yoga in French was a blast.  The teachers were nice enough to include some English, but I didn't mind following along and trying to listen for Sanskrit words.

However, I didn't end the week very well.  After my interview with Seymour Stein, I was looking forward to winding down with an evening class.  The schedule was confusing as it had 6:15 and 6:30 listed.  I was running late due to work flowing in from the U.S. and turned up at 6:35.  The teacher, understandably, was NOT happy about this.  I thought I was only a few minutes late, but it turns out I was 20, which is definitely rude and I felt like an obnoxious American :(.

Instead, I took myself out to dinner at Brouette de Grand-Mere, which was epic and I highly recommend: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187221-d1790776-Reviews-Brouette_de_Grand_Mere-Cannes_French_Riviera_Cote_d_Azur_Provence.html.  Thanks to Dick Huey @ Toolshed for the recommendation!

I'm going to have trouble rating yoga studios as all yoga is wonderful and I feel grateful when I can do classes while traveling.  But wrapping up a great week on such a bummer note, makes me dip this studio down to 3.5 / 5 stars, even though I blame myself.  Clearly I need to be more mindful about getting to class in time and I'll make it a priority at this studio in 2015 as I've already booked lodging nearby so I can return and hopefully have an equally solid MIDEM 2015 :). xo



No comments:

About MLE

My photo
Brooklyn, New York
Brooklyn Wisconsinite Entrepreneur, Yogi, Swimmer, etc. Background P1. P2. P3. Final Installment.