20080420

OMGSXSW Part I

SXSW 2008 carried special meaning because in past years I've attended the event while living in NYC or in the middle of a tour.  In other words, it was no big deal.  I saw most of the bands out promoting whatever they were promoting all over the world and could meet up with any additional friends attending back home in nyc.  Not this year!  I was PUMPED to see all of my NYC peeps and a ton of music in Austin.  The night before I left, Tuesday, I received a text message from Jenny Applebaum that simply read "OMGSXSW!"  Kinda sums it up right?  I decided to save and document every text message I would send and receive throughout the weekend.  I wondered if I could document the weekend for myself in this form and it was my own little social experiment.  Obviously it makes way more sense to text (over email for sure) than call at any sort of loud music festival/event.  However, there are obviously privacy issues involved for a lot of parties, so this has been edited down as it's all in good fun, ya know?  It's a long weekend, so I've decided to do 2 parts: Here are days 1 & 2 + pictures, though I may not get through all of the color coding and pictures today...... 

OMG SXSW
TUESDAY MARCH 11TH, 2008
(below: Win, Sabrina, Josh aka first person to tell me about The Dolls, and meeee @ The Black Angels who were AWESOME)
22:37 Jenny Applebaum: Hah! Packing? Im failing miserably at it right now. Gotta be up in 5 hrs too!
22:49 Winifred Chane Whoah...havin issues locatin my sleeping bag....I'm so confused....don't remember loanin to anyone but I must have. Anyhow, do you have one? I WANT the floor but could use the bag. if not ill ask pete n rox. Rlt me know....
22:51 Em Wizzle I will sort it out, don't stress it.
22:54 Winifred Chane I want u to stay in the room! I seriously don't mind floor... nice on my back....
22:55 Em Wizzle I mean ill sort the room and acoomodations. TM! :). It always works out.
22:56 Winifred Chane ;) luv it! Ur the best!
22:58 Sydney Wayser My set at Stubb's was really good!! I had a lot of fun! It was upbeat and people were listening and really involved! See you tomorrow!!! What time do you get in?
22:59 Em Wizzle Of course they were into yo
u. I get in obscenely early to be on a touring panel and will prob need to nap in the early afternoon. But will be ready to rage by evening!
23:00 Sydney Wayser Haha, nice! Well give me a call when you are charged up!
23:05 Josh Frankfort Driving to SXSW. Will I see you?
23:06 Em Wizzle omg, YES! And come to Zac Brown on thurs. Can't wait to see you! Who are you riding with?

WEDNESDAY MARCH 12TH, 2008
(Jenny (!) and yours truly below)
03:57 Em Wizzle Have an early flight. Call me when you're there.
03:59 Josh Frankfort Cool. About 100 miles west of phoenix. See you in 15 hours...zzzzzzzzzzzz
04:00 Em Wizzle Who are you driving with?
04:01 Josh Frankfort My friend Dustin from ifilm, his friend davin and my friend Mandy.
09:31 Sabrina Grtizmacher Yay! Just got to Austin!
09:32 Em Wizzle Me too! Wanna split a cab?
09:41 Em Wizzle My flight was on time, hooray! Just landed, I will call when I get to the convention center. Looking forward to meeting you!
09:55 Em Wizzle What time is Lou Reed?
10:03 Em Wizzle Hey girl, it's emily white. Assuming you still live in austin? Let me know if you hit any gigs this week (or want to) as I'm obv in town. Hope you are well!
10:04 Sabrina Griztmacher 4 to 7 PM
10:05 Sabrina Gritzmacher Are you at the Hilton?
10:05 Em Wizzle There are two downtown. I'm at hilton garden.
10:08 Sabrina Gritzmacher I'm at the one next to the convention center, is this the same one?
10:15 Em Wizzle No I'm a few blocks away.
10:28 Em Wizzle What do you think about having me guest post on your blog that documents my entire SX weekend via every text message I send and receive? Miss you!
10:29 Laura Keating Yes Yes Yes! i love the idea. do you have a blogger account? i can create one for you and post your texts. so exciting.
10:34 Laura Keating I think if you have a blogger account you can text directly to the blog. Katie Kay does that.
10:44 Em Wizzle I get to skip the (super long) credential pick-up line because I'm a panelist. Score! Remember when we randomly ran into Grayson + band here last year? So wish you were here.
10:45 Laura Keating Worst line to wait in ever.
10:50 Ryan Armes You having so much fun yet?
11:09 Sabrina Grizmacher Shit! Can't buy one :(
11:13 Em Wizzle Buy what? I'm downstairs at the coffee shop but have to head to rm 18abc in a few at convention center
14:50 Em Wizzle Where you at?
14:51 Jenny Applebaum Just landed!
14:51 Sydney Wayser Okay, ill call you when we leave here
14:59 Jenny Applebaum Where you at? Im on my way to hotel now. Any interest in dinner at Povos? Best Mexican ever.
15:03 Sabrina Gritzmacher What are you up to?
15:04 Em Wizzle Sounds great, what time?
15:07 Jenny Applebaum Probably like 7? I'll keep you in the loop. Yay!
15:07 Sydney Wayser Oh cool!!!
15:08 Em Wizzle I think Lou Reed is playing tonight!
15:18 Daddy White Saw moms message but her reply does not work. Very exciting.
15:29 Em Wizzle I'm going to powernap for a bit as I got up mad early
15:29 Sydney Wayser Okay well give me a call when you're up
15:32 Christen Greene When will i see you? Kaki King tonight 9 devilles.
17:30 Sabrina Gritzmacher Are you dead?
17:32 Em Wizzle Nope, just woke up from a nap.
17:32 Jenny Applebaum Meet us at Mohawk in an hr?
17:35 Sabrina Gritzmacher Good! Can I drop of our shit at your hotel?
17:37 Em Wizzle Why? Your hotel is two blocks from mine. I mean you're welcome to if need be.
17:40 Sabrina Gritzmacher Oh! Nevermind! Let me know when you get back!
17:47 Bart Dahl Yo what up?
17:52 Heather Gredanius Should i come sunday? R u off monday?
18:23 Justin Krol You in Austin yet? Remember our show tomorrow!
19:17 Christen Greene Holla
20:04 Bart Dahl Let me know when you get back from dinner
20:07 Heather Greidanus Monday dins sounds good! Happy hunting in Austin.
20:12 Bart Dahl @ Deville
20:31 Em Wizzle I will be there in 10 min.
20:39 Sabrina Gritzmacher At the Hilton bar. Come by
20:40 Sabrina Gritzmacher Getting some dinner near the hotel. What about you?
20:42 Bart Dahl Wanna go see a band at Esylum with me? 7th and red riv
21:52 Jenny Applebaum Come to Emos!
22:05 Em Wizzle This is lame, they're not letting anyone into the Fenway showcase. Want to go to REM with us?
22:11 Winifred Chane The eagle has landed! All washed up n leavin the hotel to get my badge (damn we really did luck out on hotel location, eh?!). What's your plan for the eve?
22:13 Em Wizzle Dude, the locale is sick! I'm at bourbon rocks. See you soon!
22:16 Nick Stern Open bar!
22:26 Josh Frankfort Call me!
22:27 Mark Kates Walking to Stubbs
22:36 Em Wizzle I'm out back at Bourbon Rocks. Open bar!
22:41 Sydney Wayser Nice! I think the guest lists don't matter anymore...Not sure what we can get into.... We're at Fenway's showcase
23:42 Josh Frankfort Address? Or cross streets?
23:47 Em Wizzle 6th and Trin
23:54 Em Wizzle I'm so bummed you aren't here. We are a total team and I keep yapping about you.
23:58 John Raso Thanks - you're helping to finally create an industry rep for me. 
23:58 Em Wizzle Ill give you a slutty rep.
23:59 John Raso Oh and give me a drug habit and volatile mood swings.

THURSDAY MARCH 13th, 2008
00:25 Sabrina Gritzmacher Going to Zona Rosa
00:25 Em Wizzle Come to Bourbon Rocks, I'll sneak you in
00:26 Sabrina Gritzmacher love you! What's the address?
00:30 Winifred Chane Bumped into folks n got side tracked but on m way now!!!!
00:39 Sabrina Gritzmacher I'm right outside. Need a badge
00:40 Em Wizzle I'll come get you
00:45 Winifred Chane Ewwww maaad line n not really movin? Might hit Stubbs and see work folks unless you can help skip line?
01:37 Mark Kates What are you guys up to?
01:39 Joshua Knight Its Joshua...Where you?
01:39 Em Wizzle The Black Angels. Come!
01:41 Joshua Knight Out front of there now
01:41 Em Wizzle How long is the line? Fake that you're crew or something
01:43 Joshua Knight No real line. Just not sure about coming in. Who plays next?
01:44 Em Wizzle Not sure?
01:48 Joshua Knight Ok then... Going to Maggie Mays rooftop
10:51 Sabrina Gritzmacher How was your night?
11:46 Em Wizzle I'm at a breakfast meeting with my new boss
12:03 Em Wizzle I brought your Dino Jr hoodie from Langerado btw
12:25 Sydney Wayser Just wanted to send a reminder about my show today from 1-2 at the Saxon Pub
12:26 Em Wizzle Wouldn't miss it for the world.
12:28 Sydney Wayser Thanks! See you soon!
12:29 Em Wizzle Watching Lou Reed speak!
12:40 Daddy Cool. Cannot wait to hear about it.
12:41 Em Wizzle Just ran into Sxip!
12:42 Amanda Palmer Yay
13:39 Justin Krol I am at our show with Jasmine!
13:45 Em Wizzle I'm in a cab headed to see our girl Sydney play
13:48 Mark Kates Me too, with Matt Hickey!
14:21 Jasmine Hagans: Emily where are you?!
14:22 Em Wizzle Sydney's set w/ Kates and Hickey; will be there soon
14:24 Ryan Armes Getting closer! In atl waiting for flight. Where do I get the badge when i arrive? Thanks
14:25 Christen Greene Did you get what you wanted?
14:26 Em Wizzle Action or greens?
14:43 Em Wizzle Awesome! If I were you, I'd drop your stuff at your hotel and head right to the convention center to pick up your badge
14:46 Ryan Armes Just ran into mr luba... Grabing a fast beer, call you when i get in
15:01 Mike Greenhaus What are you checking out?
15:09 Em Wizzle Freshwater Collins @ Red 7
15:20 Joshua Knight Plan today?
15:25 Em Wizzle Headed to The Whiskey
15:40 Ryan Armes Flight is delayed again, brutal. You going to Zac at 9? What time is Playboy party?
15:45 Em Wizzle See if Lube Job can get you on the listy for Playboy
16:01 Em Wizzle When else does Born In The Flood play besides tonight? They're on the exact same time as Zac....
16:02 Em Wizzle It's kinda not the same walking aroud sxsw and not seeing random Porsches on The Autobahn members
16:55 Winifred Chane Where you at?
16:56 Em Wizzle Planetary BBQ, Maggie Mays but am going to head to the hotel to chill a bit. Just ran into Kevin Hoskins!
17:15 Em Wizzle You just walked by me, I'm in line to buy a burrito but it was so 5 minutes ago
17:18 Mike Greenhaus Come to Fader
17:18 Baron Opium huh HUH! did you hang with Jeff Goodman last night?
17:19 Em Wizzle Briefly
17:20 Baron Opium He is a clown
17:20 Em Wizzle Everyone here is a clown
18:11 Kevin Hoskins Beers on the roofdeck of Iron Cactus at 6?
18:13 Em Wizzle Fuck napping, I'm going to shower and change. Wanna meet me and Kevin Hoskins on roof deck at Iron Cactus @ 6?
18:17 Winifred Chane Sure!
18:22 Nick Stern I'm going to Zac at Midnight?
18:24 Sabrina Gritzmacher Going to the Boiling Point for dinner if you want to come, am in for Stubb's later for sure.
18:42 Bart Dahl Come to Club 115 @ 9 PM. Don't suck.
18:54 Em Wizzle I'll def try to catch the end of their set. I'll bring your Dino Jr hoodie.
19:05 Kevin Hoskins On the roof
19:50 Maris Holmes Hey! At ke bar. Sup with you?
19:57 Jenny Applebaum Hey what time are you going to mad house showcase?
19:59 Maris Holmes Get boyfriend and i in with you so we can hang!
20:00 Sydney Wayser So adam, pat, and i will all be able to get into Madison house tonight right? Also... I'm going to meet up with you at that other party you were talking about while adam and pat do something else.
20:08 Em Wizzle K. Bart will be able to help get you guys in.
20:35 Em Wizzle Come to Zac Brown @ Stubb's @ 9!
20:40 Jenny Applebaum I have to see born in the floor or Bart will kill be so i'll def be there at 9. Where you at?
20:41 Em Wizzle Stubbs
20:42 Jenny Applebaum Who's Playing?
20:45 Em Wizzle Kimaya dawson, tom morello, etc. Anti war thingy
21:04 Sabrina Gritzmacher When are you going to Stubbs?
21:04 Em Wizzle I'm here but prob can't sneak you in for another half hour or so
21:05 Mike Greenhaus Stop by the Relix showcase at somepoint
21:06 Em Wizzle Um hello! You mean the mad house Showcase! ill swing by for sure.
21:28 Jasmine Hagans What are you up to? Anything i'll be able to get into?
21:29 Em Wizzle Stubbs! 
21:43 Jasmine Hagans Do you need badges?
21:44 Em Wizzle I can get you in
21:44 Jasmine Hagans Ok. Kristina is with me.
21:45 Em Wizzle No prob
22:00 Em Wizzle Do you have an extra c3 hook up? Can you get in Peter Fairman from our office?
22:02 Jasmine Hagans We can't get in
22:03 Em Wizzle I'll come get you
22:19 Winifred Chane Am I too late? Just leaving hotel?
22:20 Em Wizzle He hasn't hit yet, come!
22:23 Winifred Chane K!!!
22:36 Jenny Applebaum Are you coming to 115??
22:42 Justin Krohl Going to Vice for most of the night. You?
22:43 Em Wizzle Stubb's
22:44 Justin Krohl Who's playing?
22:45 Em Wizzle Zac Brown
22:49 Rachel Seidan Where you at?
22:49 Em Wizzle By bar!
22:50 Rachel Seidan Here at Relix?
22:53 Em Wizzle At Zac Brown but will get there soon.
23:02 Sydney Wayser Headed to MGMT
23:10 Em Wizzle MGMT on time?
23:11 Mark Kates Yes
23:44 Winifred Chane When you going to mad house?
23:45 Em Wizzle Was there, now headed to rio for MGMT. Come!
23:55 Mark Kates With Maris at bar. Dope.

No comments:

About MLE

My photo
Brooklyn, New York
Brooklyn Wisconsinite Entrepreneur, Yogi, Swimmer, etc. Background P1. P2. P3. Final Installment.