20080414

Langerado + Listen to Jaymay



This weekend I was dogsitting for a friend which allowed access to his car for fun errands like Whole Foods shopping. I had the pleasure of enjoying Left of Center on Sirius and hearing Jaymay sing "Grey or Blue." Amazing. Though Jaymay is clearly writing from the perspective of my demo of being a mid-twenties female and living in NYC, I think everyone should take a Listen.

This year was my maiden trip to Langerado as it was practically in my backyard: only 45 min or so from my apartment out in the Everglades. I did a really crappy job sorting plans for the fest, in the sense that I didn't make any except advancing a pass for myself as I told Jonah Smith I'd TM him for the weekend. Really, it was no sweat and my pleasure to help out Team Jonah. JS didn't play until Sunday but I drove up on Friday after work with Bart Dahl (!) who was in town from Mad House. Bart manages the best band in Denver (besides DeVotchKa): Born In The Flood.

We arrived at the fest to Rule Number One of way not to greet (hippie-leaning) fans - Florida State Troopers. I was legitimately tour managing an artist at the fest, Bart was a guest of the Beastie Boys + had a boatload of Mad House artists playing and neither cop believed us! They asked if we were really with bands, why we didn't have instruments with us. What does that even mean? Anyway, eventually we flagged down some helpful Langerado employees who got us back on the production road and inside in time to watch the Beastie Boys from sidestage! That was all Bart via his friend Cey. Thanks again guys!! I was standing next to a really sweet girl named Izzy who has an Oasis-esque obsession with The Beasties. I LOVE watching shows with super fans of any artist so it as great knowing every detail as to what was going on. Like, I have all of the Beastie Boy albums (I think?) but don't know them song by song + b-sides, imports, covers, new stuff, whatevs. Anyway, Izzy's camera died! That's a disaster for a superfan watching sidestage especially when forum posting is involved. Luckily I had a fully charged camera and told her to snap away + took down the set list on my bberry and emailed it to her so she could post it to the forum. The best part about knowing superfans is that they send you the photos they took posted HERE + find the Audio Online. And she gets credit for this photo of myself and Bart after the set.


After the Beasties, Bart and I set out on a trek to find other Mad House peeps. Bassnecter seemed to be an obvious choice since Jake Schneider is his agent and that's where the Relix kids were headed as well. Sidenote as I was stoked (though not surprised) to run into non other than Eleanor Cole Boyle, Queen of the Jammyland Scene. Thus Bart, Cole and I trekked over to the stage greeted by Jake with his handheld. You can spot us in this video with Cole kicking it off at 1:20 followed by a way-too-sober to dance Em and Bart. Thanks again Jake! Very impressed with the subtitles and cutting the footage, etc. How fun. I don't know who Don The Bully is, but that cracks me up.

Initially Bart and I were going to drive back to Miami but clearly that plan was not going to work. Luckily I was given shelter by my friends at Relix and I introduced myself to Josh Baron for the fith time and met the jam-to-my-indie Mike GreenhausThe next night was REM! Oh and Ben Folds + his badass band played that afternoon. That means I was able to hang out with Emily Deaderick from Ben's management!! We are kind of the same person. Seriously. It's erie. I watched the first half of REM with Team Ben before their bus call and ended by jumping around with Josh, Greenhaus, and Cole. Post-set I was starving and poking around the artist dressing rooms to see if i could score some free pita and hummus. Laura, I found the holy grail of Free Food: REM's catering tent!! REM was long gone and the catering guys were happy to make me a veggie burger + a huge s
pread of general yummy feast. Hooray!

Sunday Jonah killed it per usual and Keller Williams sat in as well. Watching the above croc tamers was also kinda cool and Sunday I said bye to everyone to head back to my apartment. All and all a solid start to the festival season. And now I know to plan for next year as Team Relix better spend at least once night in Miami land. :)


No comments:

About MLE

My photo
Brooklyn, New York
Brooklyn Wisconsinite Entrepreneur, Yogi, Swimmer, etc. Background P1. P2. P3. Final Installment.